|This publication features analysis of the theory of socialism, the historical experiences of revolution and the features of capitalism that make socialism an urgent necessity.|
Table of Contents
I. Why socialism? A goal and a program for victory
II. The development of socialist ideas
- The first modern socialists: utopian? The means, not the goal
- The Communist Manifesto: A guide to changing the world
- The 'dictatorship of the proletariat:' How can the working class defend its revolution?
- The goal of socialism: Peace and equality amid plenty
III. Historical experience and socialist revolution
- Rebellion and the need for organization
- What difference can a socialist revolution make?
- Don't stop with reforms! Reaching beyond the existing social order
- Anarchism: What is militancy without a winning program?
- Socialism and the legacy of the Soviet Union
IV. Burning issues: Why Socialism?
- The absurdity of capitalist overproduction: A glut of homes in a sea of homelessness
- Dismantle the racist prison system!
- Eradicating the scourage of racism from U.S. society
- Can sexism be eliminated under capitalism?
- Insuring the rights won by the LGBT movement
V. En espanol: Por que el socialismo?